A 22 year old woman presents 20 minutes after swallowing half of an 8-ounce bottle of drain cleaner. She had engaged in a heated argument with her partner immediately beforehand. She vomited once, soon after ingestion, and now complains of severe odynophagia. She did not experience dyspnea, chest pain, or abdominal pain. Her medical, surgical, and family histories are unremarkable, and she is not on any medications. She only drinks socially, does not smoke, and does not use recreational drugs.
The arterial blood gas assay is within normal parameters, as are serum Na+, K+, Cl- and Ca++ levels.
The chest x-ray appears completely normal.
A grade II-A caustic injury of the esophagus is noted. Gastric hyperemia is present. No other abnormalities are detected.
The CT scans appear completely normal.